Monday, December 28, 2009

Jury Duty

After being an official voter for over twenty years, I have FINALLY been called to serve for jury duty. Okay, okay, I know this is an odd thing to hope for, but after seeing co-workers being "called up" I was feeling a little jipped. Perhaps I have seen too many Law and Order shows, but this seemed like a fun thing to experience.

I cannot begin to explain how excited I was when I received my jury summons in the mail three weeks ago. With a little trepidation I woke up extra early this morning and debated on which outfit would be most appropriate (do I dress up or just wear jeans?). In case you were wondering, I went with a more casual attire. I got down to the court house with ten minutes to spare and was forced to wait outside with a few homeless men (who wanted my money)before they would let us in. In my mind I was having flashbacks to Adventures in Babysitting when the main character's friend was stuck at a train station without her glasses petting a large rat that she mistook for a cat. I couldn't help but laugh at this thought, which I am sure made me look a little odd, but whatever.

Finally the doors open and I follow the crowd through the security section and asked the police officer there where I needed to go to serve. I was quickly shown the door...because I was in the wrong place!!! You have to understand, there are about six different buildings down town that all serve some sort of municipal purpose. After being shown the correct building to go to I gathered up my things and with renewed excited headed to do my duty.

Flash forward three hours, excitement gone, boredom set in and booty aching I find myself watching the clock in anticipation of our lunch break. We lucked out and at eleven were excused for the day. I was only half way through the movie that I was watching but was more than happy to get the heck out of there. I have one more day to sit before I am either added to a panel or sent home and I am more than hoping for the latter. Yes, the dream is dead! :)

So now I can add jury duty to my list of things done in my lifetime, not that this was on my list of things to do before I die, but I have done it just the same.

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

I seriously want to serve, too! It's not strange to want to...and when H. served I even went and watched one day and it was ULTRA fascinating!!!

Kenneth said...

So did you ever actually get on a case?

mooney said...

No, it was a slow week so we were all sent home after two days. Bummer!